Monday, November 17, 2008

Focus on your ultimate goals, and then use your powers of persuasion to negotiate arrangements for achieving them.

Monday, November 17, 2008
5:02 pm Why is it so dark out??

Words/Sayings I Use That My Parents Didn't Use

The other day I was on the phone with my mother talking about "pregaming" when she asked me what on earth I was talking about. After I explained, this got me thinking about all the things we say today that weren't used back in the day. With the help of urbandictionary.com, I will attempt to explain their meanings. This post is rated PG-13 for language.

1.) Pregame

Urban Dictionary definition:
v. To drink before going to a party. This most often happens because the party where you are going to will be carding and you are under age or because you want to drink something hard to start your night off. Often pregaming happens at the house and involves taking shots.
1) We really need to pregame tonight before we go out.
2) I really pregamed heavily last night. I feel really sick now.

Every night when my friends and I go out, the first thing we plan is where we are going to pregame. In fact, sometimes we won't even decide where we are going that night until we are actually pregaming. Luckily for me and Maria, our suite has become pregame central. It is quite an honor. Try to think of pregaming as the equivalent of an appetizer... for drinking.

2.) Cock-Block
Urban Dictionary definition:
One who prevents another from scoring sexually.

ex.) Trudy and Dan frequently had time alone but her cockblocking roommate ruined any chances they had to have sex.

My friends and I, and most people, I think, use a looser definition. Being cockblocked could mean a guy was prevented from having a long conversation with a girl that could eventually lead to any kind of potential hook up. Let's take an example from a couple weeks ago at An Tua Nua, shall we?
T was on the dance floor with her friends when there was a lull between songs. Immediately, balding, 30-something guy moves in. Hey, what's your name? Do you come here often? T tries to be polite while looking around desperately for help. BOG (bald, old guy) is just telling her how lame this bar is while TOF (tall, old friend) looks on, when out of no where, S swoops in and puts his arm around T. "Hey, I'm S. Who are you?" he says, sticking out one hand to BOG for a hand shake while one arm remains firmly around T. BOG mumbles something and walks away. Cock Block successful! In this situation, S successfully cock-blocked BOG, and T is grateful.

There are situations where the girl is not so grateful, however. A week previous to this, T was chatting with S at the same bar, when her guy friend S2 started getting awkward. T was clearly enjoying her conversation with S (oh, there was hair tossing), but S2 wouldn't take a hint and kept interrupting the conversation, despite T's death glares. This is an example of an annoying cock-block.

Those are your two new words for the day. More lessons to follow!
Love,
Tara

No comments: