Saturday, November 15, 2008

You may discover that you have backing from somewhere or someone you didn't think knew you existed.

Saturday, November 15, 2008
9:49 pm My room...on a Saturday night...


This has been the weekend of proms and protests. Well, one prom and one protest. Last night was every bit as wild and crazy as we thought it would be.
Friday started a tad hecticly. I was on the T (I HATE the T) on my way to work when all of a sudden the conductor announced that everyone had to get off at Blanford because there had been an accident in one of the tunnels. As I got off the T and saw the two packed shuttle buses we were all supposed to use, I realized I was going to be late for work. So, I ran through Kenmore square to the Kenmore station, hoping the accident was between Blanford and Kenmore. After paying my T fare AGAIN, it became evident that this was a big accident that wasn't going to clear up anytime soon. Swearing and sweating, I left Kenmore and ran into the street to try to find a cab, all the while trying to call the Improper and then another intern, Kyle, when I couldn't remember my boss's extension. While on the phone with Kyle, standing in the middle of Commonwealth Avenue with my hand out to hail a cab, some woman literally walked 5 yards ahead of me AND TOOK MY CAB. I'm told that Kyle's conversation with my boss, Amanda, about how I was going to be late, went something like this:
Kyle: There was an accident on the T, and Tara just almost killed a woman for taking her cab.
Amanda (the chillest boss ever): *shrugs* Well, when she gets here, she gets here.
FINALLY, I hailed a cab and got to work. Brett, another intern, was also late. He was stuck underground on a T, with no cell service, for an hour and a half. Can you imagine? I considered myself lucky to have such a crazy morning, in the end.
All day at work I kept dancing in my seat and choreographing my dance moves for the night ahead. Then I had this text conversation with Jess that just put my excitement over the top:

Me: I would just like to say...how freaking excited I am for tonight!!!!
Jess: Girl it's going to be a night to remember! Haha actually, i hope we can remember some of the night at least!

I rushed home after work to begin the "getting ready" process with my roommates. Things were going well until Maria realized the security tag was still on her dress. This set us a little bit behind schedule as we furiously googled "how to remove a security tag" and called everyone we could think of for suggestions. In the end, Maria had to wear a dress she's already worn, which was unfortunate, but she pulled it off. I'd say we all looked pretty bangin'.






After our pregame party, we all piled in a cab and headed to the Hyatt Downtown. We seriously danced for 3 hours straight. It was magical. I heart COM. And I heart this picture.


I woke up this morning, and I was sore. All over. My head hurt (for obvious reasons), but my entire body also hurt. I guess that's what I get for busting a move at my old age. But I worked through the pain so Maria and I could make our way down to City Hall to protest Proposition 8. Today was the nation-wide protest in cities all across America, and it was great to be a part of it.

The weather wasn't great, but luckily we didn't get rained on. We heard some really moving speakers and chanted A LOT. I got to see some great signs, too. Unfortunately, my camera ran out of battery so I didn't get a lot of pictures. It was great, though!

WHAT DO WE WANT?

EQUALITY!

WHEN DO WE WANT IT?

NOW!

Love,
Tara

No comments: