Wednesday, November 5, 2008
10:10 am COM Student Services window
My tears of joy over Obama's win last night have dried up - fast. The fact that this country can do something to make me so proud, and then suddenly act so utterly intolerant is so discouraging.
Proposition 8 should not be this close.
It should not be a question.
It should not even be a proposition.
Let me define marriage for you. It is two people who love each other and want to commit to each other for the rest of their lives. I don't know, I just made that up. But it makes sense, right? Notice how I didn't mention anything about sexual orientation being a factor.
"Ooh, but the Bible says..." whine the bigots everywhere. Here's what I think. I think God has better things to do than to care about whether there are men loving women or women loving men or men loving men or women loving women. I think God just wants us to love each other. And as the "We are all created equal" country that we are supposed to be, the fact that we have to VOTE on two people's RIGHT to LOVE each other and to have the RIGHTS that go along with being married is absurd.
It's embarrassing.
It's upsetting.
All I want to do is celebrate Obama's victory, because it means good things for this country. It means change.
But how can I celebrate when people in California are about to be suppressed all over again?
It makes me sick.
Creamy White Chicken Chili (Crockpot)
2 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment