Sunday, March 15, 2009

"I'm washing my hands of you."

Sunday, March 15, 2009
5:12 pm Beware...

Sooo, I'm still in Glastonbury. I couldn't stand to let my spring break end, so I got talked into staying until tomorrow morning. I'm taking a 6 am bus, so while extending my vacation seems like a great idea right now, I'm sure I will be cursing myself when I have to wake up at 4:30 tomorrow morning.

Anywhozzle, having another full day at home has been just lovely. I woke up at 7:30 am to go on a hike with Dad. We went over to the Kongscut Land Trust and walked around in the cold for a while. There's no marked trail so it was all a little etch-a-sketch, but we managed to find our way back. It was all good until my mind started to wander, and I thought about what would happen if we were attacked by a bear. I spent the rest of the hike looking for hiding places within running distance.

After the hike, I came home, ate a grapefruit (my favorite fruit, next to kiwis and apricots), and Mom and I went to the mall for some spring clothes shopping. I needed some stuff to wear to my internship, so we cleaned up at Express. Then we went to Ann Taylor Loft at Evergreen and did some spring clothes shopping for her. Contrary to rumors, Ann Taylor stores are not going out of business. After Mom modeled her clothes in the dressing room, and I gave the final approval, we went over to Moe's Southwest Grill for some delicious Mexican food. I suggest the Art Vandalay burrito. Mmm, I could eat another one right now.

Full of Mexican food and giddy with spendorphins (n. opiate-like hormones that are manufactured in the body and contribute to natural feelings of well-being after shopping), we came home where my parents ganged up on me and convinced me to stay until tomorrow morning. Okay, actually they suggested it, and the thought of packing now as opposed to later convinced me to stay. Give me a chance to procrastinate, and I'll take it.

Now that the rest of my day was free (though my To Do List begged to differ), Mom and I went to the Museum on the Green to look up dead relatives. Mom has really been getting into our family's geneaology, and it's kind of weird how every one of our relatives has seemed to live in Connecticut and Massachusetts for hundreds of years. Even right in Glastonbury. Apparently, we're direct relatives of the Hubbards who donated the land for Hubbard Green. Personally, I think I should be able to take the land back because my great (x 20) grandfather donated it, but I think other people might disagree, so I won't make a fuss. I'm a people-pleaser.

After scouring a dusty old book for information on relatives (okay, she scoured, I sat there for moral support), we walked around the graveyard looking for names of people we're related to. We didn't find anyone we were directly related to, but it was so nice out. As we walked through the green I received a phone call from my charming sister Stephanie, who asked me in a very accusatory tone why I had not called her all day. I told her that I had been busy spending money and eating burritos and trudging through graveyards, but she was not very sympathetic. I guess working 80 hours a week can do that to a person.

Once the graveyard stroll was over, we picked up Kaitlyn from work, and went to CVS where they wouldn't let me have my prescriptions again because they told me I wasn't insured. I hate insurance companies. Seriously. Don't ever work for one. They just spend their days trying to steal your money and not insure you. When I went part-time as a student, we told the insurance company, in keeping with being honest and, you know, not committing insurance fraud. This meant we (hahaha, I mean my parents) would have to pay much more money to give me health insurance, but whatever. Now, even though my parents have paid more than is due, Aetna still keeps saying I'm not insured. So, every time I go to CVS, the prescription pick-up guys roll their eyes like "Here's the crazy girl who thinks she has insurance, again." They can't say that though, so when I approach the counter, they just politely ask, "Um, did your insurance maybe change?" And then I politely say, "NO! Aetna is just the root of all that is evil and wrong in this world." Can't a girl pick up her nose spray without it being a big deal? I mean, seriously. Aetna - you're on my list.

After another awkward encounter with the prescription pick-up guys we drove home, where I asked Dad (very politely) how much money he was going to give me to go to grad school. He laughed and started rubbing his hands together. I thought he was doing some cool magic trick where he conjures up $200,000 and hands it to me, but instead he said, "Know what this is?"

"What, dearest Father?" I replied.

"I'm washing my hands of you."

Is this any way to treat your oldest and dearest daughter who has brought so much joy to your life? I think not. In fact, I would write this denial of education down in my notebook of Things My Parents Did That I Will Never Do to My Own Children, but I already ran out of space.

Love,
Tara

1 comment:

Nancy said...

tara you totally crack me up. seriously this is a great blog. i loved it especially the spendorphins. although i prefer the chocolateorphins. anyway... love your blog.