Thursday, April 2, 2009

"Ouch!"

Thursday, April 2, 2009
9:24 am Late.

I have some sad news. I took out my cartilage piercing. For good. (I can see my mother jumping up and down right now...)

I pierced my cartilage second semester of my freshman year at a Claire's boutique in Downtown Crossing. Maria stood by for moral support, and we got dinner in a sketchy food court after the ordeal was over. Ironically, I provided her with moral support that same year when she got a tattoo on her wrist. She's currently undergoing laser surgery to have it removed. We helped each other make some dumb decisions freshman year.

Anyway, I loved my piercing. If I could, I'd have at least 7 piercings, but I've had to face the truth - my body doesn't like when I shove precious metals into it. For example, shortly after I got my cartilage piercing it became infected. Crazy infected. Like ear swollen, running a fever, swollen glands infected. I refused to take the piercing out, even though my ear had swollen up around the earring, so it became embedded in my ear. A doctor at Student Health prescribed me antibiotics, which eventually cleared up the infection, but also caused a brutal yeast infection (too much information? DEAL.).

For the past three years, the piercing has been getting infected every other week, no matter how often I clean it. I haven't been able to sleep on my left side. Every morning I have to pop my earring out of where it's become embedded in my cartilage. I have a bump of scar tissue on the back of my ear where the earring stud sticks through. It's been a struggle.

So the other night, after I had cleaned my ear and the earring and was fighting to shove the earring back through my poor ear, I thought why? Why are you doing this to yourself? Blood was starting to drip as I stabbed myself in the ear, and I looked at myself in the mirror, my face contorted in pain, and I just stopped. I slowly put the earring down, grabbed a tissue for my ear, and stood there, looking at the bloody hole I had created in my cute little ear. I was done.

Now I have a scar on my ear and a lone diamond earring on my dresser -- two things (scars and diamonds) that last forever and will serve as a reminder of an important lesson...

There are things in life you'll want, and you'll fight and suffer to keep them, only to realize you're much happier without.

Love,
Tara

1 comment:

Nancy said...

the last line of your blog is so true. about so many things. boyfriends, friends, clothes from the 80's that you will never fit into again. you are totally right. on the other hand though if it was socially acceptable and if i wouldnt be a complete outcast at my kids school and family parties i would totally have an eyebrow ring. maybe at my next mid life crisis. great blog. love it.