Sunday, October 5, 2008

Jump wholeheartedly into the pursuits and company that stimulate you, of which there are many and much.

Sunday, October 5, 2008
Happy 23rd Anniversary, Mom & Dad!
5:01 pm Back in my room


Phew! Just woke up after quite a coma. I literally passed out on my bed and didn't move for over an hour. Having kids will do that to you, I guess. Or just being around them...

Usually when I write these blog posts I find I have to be very selective in what I choose and choose not to include. Whether it's for my father's peace of mind or to prevent my own embarrassment or to protect the privacy of my shameless friends and roommates, I censor myself. Hard to believe, I know. Anyway, as I report on the past weekend I am happy to say I can tell you the whole story: The story of how I love my cousins, but I don't think I can ever have children.

This weekend Stephanie and I went to visit Robbi and the fam. At 5:45 pm, we met at the Park St. T station on Friday and hopped a train to Braintree. There, Jon picked us up (Olivia and Julia were in the car), and we went to Siros to meet everyone for dinner. As soon as I got there, John ran at me at full speed, grabbed my hand, and told me he wanted me to meet his Grandpa Leo. I calmly explained that he was my grandpa too. I'm not sure he understood because he just started laughing hysterically and asked me if I wanted to race. Then I started to explain that I was in flats that pinched my feet, but he was just laughing again.

At dinner, the whole family caught up. Grandma and Leo, upon hearing that Stephanie and I would be staying at Robbi's, leapt at the chance to spend time with their two favorite grandchildren...no, I don't mean Olivia and John. Robbi and Jon are partial owners of Siros, an Italian restaurant that Tom Brady is rumored to frequent (don't worry, I kept my eyes peeled for a cute guy hobbling around on his one good leg). John asked to sit next to me (Olivia dibsed Stephanie), and tried to eat entire packets of butter, plain. When we explained that this was not proper dining etiquette, he grabbed an entire loaf of bread and stuck it in his mouth. He had me cracking up all dinner.

Stephanie and I stayed in the basement, as Grandma and Leo had one of the guest houses, and the other one is full of furniture while they remodel the kitchen. The basement is like a dream apartment. Robbi doesn't know I plan on moving in after I graduate. It has a movie theater, a full gym, a jukebox, an elaborate bathroom/spa/sauna thing, a wine cellar, a juke box and more. It was glorious.

After a restful night in the basement, Stephanie and I went upstairs and ate bagels with everyone. Then, it was off to the Renaissance Fair. Olivia dressed up as a princess, and John wanted to be a farmer, but was eventually convinced to be a pirate. They had a blast. See the pictures below. The fair was pretty elaborate and kind of cool, but Robbi and I are convinced there's some sort of freaky, fetish thing going on in the woods there after hours. Some people were just WAY too into it. Leo tried to get Stephanie and I to dress up as wenches. We absolutely refused.

Robbi on the slide at the Fair.


On the way to the Fair.

We got back from the fair pretty exhausted... however, the children were not. We all went for sushi at Fujiama's and did a little shopping at Bo Line, a cute boutique near the restaurant. Robbi bought Stephanie and I each a pair of pants, which was pretty sweet. After dinner, we went back to the house, and I interviewed Robbi for a story I'm doing. Then we all carved the pumpkins we had picked out that day. I'd forgotten how much fun that was!


After we'd washed off all the pumpkin guts (John and Olivia's favorite pumpkin carving song, by the way, is singing "Scoopin' out the guts! Scoopin' out the guts!" over and over again), Grandma read us all a couple bedtime stories. See below.

Then, Stephanie and I retreated to our basement to do some work while taking turns in the massage chair in the bathroom. We tried to stay up to watch SNL but passed out around 11.

This morning we woke up and made our way upstairs for another family breakfast of yummy bagels and fruit. After breakfast, Grandma and Leo took off in the T bird for the Catskills, and Robbi drove Stephanie and I back to our dorms. It was such a great weekend!

Even though I was pretty exhausted when I got back, and all weekend come to think of it, I feel strangely refreshed. I think it's something about being around little kids and your family that can really ground you. It feels good.

Love,
Tara
What I'm reading:
What I'm watching:
What I'm listening to:

No comments: