Wednesday, October 15, 2008
9:57 pm Watching the debate
I'm trying to take deep breaths. Really, I am. I keep counting to 10, but I only get to 5 before I yell at the tv again. Let's chat a little about politics, shall we?
I'm registered as a Democrat, but I like to think I have an open mind. I mean, I'll at least listen to the other side, even if it fills me with this overwhelming sense of rage. Listening to John McCain speak is seriously making my ears bleed.
At the beginning of this political season, I didn't mind him so much. I figured anyone is better than Bush, and he tended to be a more liberal Republican, so I kind of thought it was a win/win either way. I put him out of my mind.
But then he made Sarah Palin his running mate. This piqued my interest. I started paying attention again. And I kind of wish I hadn't because the thought of that woman in the White House keeps me awake at night. She has no experience. She is not a feminist. In fact, she is bad for feminism. She is against women's rights (Check out Eve Ensler's take on her candidacy: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eve-ensler/drill-drill-drill_b_124829.html), and she doesn't know what the HELL she is doing (Check out her "interview" with Katie Couric: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8__aXxXPVc).
Ok, hold on. I was going to continue to bitch about John McCain's rude attitude and constant interrupting and implications that Obama aligns himself with terrorists, but they started talking about abortions. I've actually done a number of research papers on abortions, partial-birth abortions, and RU-486. I'm not sure why, but it's something I've always been interested in. Regardless of your religious beliefs, abortions are necessary. Scientifically, life does not begin with conception. Sorry. Actually, I'm not sorry. It's common sense. All a "baby" is at the moment of conception is a whole mess of DNA in a bunch of cells that you can't see without a microscope. Do I think abortions should be used in place of proper birth control? NO! But abortions are necessary in a world where women are raped. Abortions are the compassionate method when an unwanted pregnancy occurs. And it should be up to the individual woman to decide what she needs to do for herself and the mess of cells latching on to her uterine wall. John McCain doesn't have the right to decide for her.
Partial-birth abortions are an ugly thing. The method is gruesome, and if, God forbid, a woman has to have one YOU CAN BE SURE she didn't just decide over night. In fact, she doesn't usually decide. Her doctor does. Partial-birth abortions are medically necessary. Mothers have been diagnosed with heart defects while pregnant. They cannot carry the baby to term because they have a weak heart. If they try, it will kill them, their baby, or both. This is where a partial-birth abortion is necessary. Mothers have been diagnosed with cancer while pregnant. They cannot receive chemotherapy while pregnant. This is where a partial-birth abortion is necessary. Because sometimes, without a partial-birth abortion, both the mother and child will die. This is why when Bush placed a ban on partial-birth abortions in 2003, judges in states all over the country found it unconstitutional.
This is so tiring. I just do not understand how anyone listening to the views of these two candidates can find themselves against Barack Obama. As a journalism major, I have been taught techniques for 4 years on how to view situations objectively. I've been taught to see the other side.
I see it, and it scares me.
Tara
Creamy White Chicken Chili (Crockpot)
2 years ago

1 comment:
yeah you said it!!! loud and clear. i second everything you said...what intelligent human being could even consider a mccain/palin presidency. She is ignorant, uneducated and a poor role model for all woman and when he said in the debate " i am so proud of her " I wanted to scream. would he have said that about a man? I need to write about this in my blog as well... because i could go on and on for hours. keep writing I love your blog...
Post a Comment