Monday, January 19, 2009

"Dreams: Vomit"

Monday, January 19, 2009
11:32 am My room

I just woke up extremely nauseous. Why? Because I was puking my brains out all night...



...in my dream.
I've been interested in dream interpretation since freshman year of high school when we got to do an I-Search paper on any topic we wanted. It's the one paper I remember really enjoying researching, and after that I began asking for dream dictionaries and books for holidays and birthdays. I now have several of them.

While there is no steadfast rule about the meanings of dreams, most experts agree that there is something to the pictures and people we see while we sleep. I personally believe that while some images are random (If you spend all day in the car and then you dream you're in a car, I don't think that's particularly significant), most of the things we see in our dreams are our subconscious' way of blowing off steam - of somehow relaying a message that we ignore or repress or simply look over.

For example, years ago I lost my wallet. It wasn't especially important because I was like 14 and didn't have a license or much money, but still, I wanted to find my wallet. One night I dreamt of opening my closet and my wallet was resting on a shelf. The next day, I found my wallet on that shelf.

There are more significant messages too. A lot of times sayings or phrases we use in dreams hold literal meaning. I had a dream a few weeks ago that I was trying to get into this room where all my friends were, but the door was too small (think Alice in Wonderland). I was still trying to squeeze into the room when someone asked me what was wrong. Frustrated, I yelled, "I can't fit in!" That dream and quote probably had to do with my own insecurities about "fitting in" with that particular group of friends.

Anyway, dreams can especially affect the way you feel. Ever dream of seeing someone you don't want to see? Or do? Or dream that someone you love is especially mean to you? It can affect the way you're feeling in your waking life.

Last night's dream affected me physically, instead of emotionally. I'm not feeling nauseous because I'm sick - I'm nauseous because I dreamed I was. I actually have these dreams fairly often. I eat something that doesn't taste good or that's "hard to swallow" (get it???), and I start vomiting... except I usually have a hard time puking it all up, so I'm like vomiting in slow motion. Did you get a nice visual there?

I finally looked up the meaning in a dream dictionary, and vomiting in a dream usually has to do with removing something negative from your life. BIG SHOCK. This can include angry feelings, emotions, a painful past, etc.

Before puking in my dream, I was carrying these really heavy blankets uphill to this house, but they were so heavy I had to pass them off to a friend. Before that, I dreamt I was walking through mud. Hmmm...

While I enjoy the interpreting of the dreams, I usually end up feeling frustrated. Because while I understand the instructions (expel the negative, get rid of what's weighing you down, etc), I don't know what my dreams are referring to.

I may need to dream more for clarification.

Love,
Tara

No comments: