Wednesday, January 28, 2009

"When people show you who they are, believe them."

Wednesday, January 28, 2009
11:30 pm My messy desk




A famous writer once told me that you can tell a lot about a person from their desk. Okay, I made that up. But I believe that you can gain a lot of insight into a person this way. It's like snooping in someone's medicine cabinet. Not that I've done that before...

Lucky for you, I'm bored right now and not tired enough to go to bed. There are many things I could be doing (17 things, in fact, according to my To Do List), but instead I am choosing to share a little bit of my life with you. I'm hoping it will motivate me to clean.

To the far left of the photo you can see the side of my television with the movie "The Wedding Date" propped up against it. It's a classic chick flick I very much enjoy, except Debra Messing's hair looks terrible throughout the entire thing. I first saw it in theaters January of my senior year of high school. I went on one date with the guy. He held my hand. I was really nervous.

Below the TV and DVD you can see my purse, thrown there sometime this weekend, partially covering various binders, papers, and text books. The one on top called "Thinking with Type" is the most boring book I've ever read in my life. There was literally an entire chapter on the importance of spacing. The chapter after that was margins. Shoot me. Winding across the book you can see the BU lanyard that holds my keys.

Next, there are some chords (Ipod, printer, computer, etc). Towards the back you can see a stack of sticky notes on top of something clear. The clear thing is a pack of gel insoles that Stephanie gave me when I saw her for lunch and shopping last Saturday. She bought the wrong size, so I got a present! Beneath the insoles is a recipe she printed out for me for portabella-broccoli stir-fry. Mmmm. I'm going to make it if I can ever go grocery shopping (To Do List!!!).

Up on the wall behind my computer there is a hanging sun that Grandma and Leo gave me, and it's surrounded by various papers. The one in the top left corner is a comic from The New Yorker of two guys sitting at a bar. The guy on the left is saying, "No, I don't need an alarm clock - anxiety is my alarm clock." I liked that because it's the story of my life. Below the comic is a quote from Grey's Anatomy I wrote on a sticky note a while ago. It says, "When I like somebody, I make sure they know it. Life's too short to live any other way." Draped over the hanging sun are purple Mardi Gras beads I received one night at Jake Ivory's. The bouncers were having a "hot girl contest," meaning girls they thought were cute got beads. It was a really defining moment in my life...:P. On the other side of the sun are two more sticky notes. One says, "When people show you who they are, believe them." The other says, "If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got."

Up above this stuff, on the wood frame of the desk is a sticky note that says "Strive!" in red. That's because I read in Body & Soul that leaving inspirational words around your house can make you perform better at your job or elsewhere. I put it up on the first day of my internship. I like it, I guess, but I'm not sure if I've striven more because of it. Is striven a word? Next to that sticky note is another sticky note with the hours the gym is open. All the way down on the right is a note from my old boss at the Improper, thanking me for interning etc. It makes me feel good to know someone thinks I do a good job, so I keep it up.

Below that note is a framed paper that says, "T.G. Call Home." Grandpa and Anita gave it to me as a reminder when I left for college. In front of it is a picture of me and Greg from a few summers ago. Next to the photo is a bottle of Midnight Pomegranate hand sanitzer from Bath & Body Works (they're cruelty free!). The paper that's partially covering the photo is Dr. Andrew Weil's Self Healing, which is a newsletter that is produced at Body & Soul.

In front of the newsletter is a box of band-aids because I still have to bandage my toes up, even though the surgery was weeks ago. They're just not completely healed yet. In front of the box is my student ID and in front of that is a Red Sox pen and another pad of sticky notes. Next to the sticky notes is a cup of tea I'm regretting making because I don't really feel like drinking it anymore. Behind the tea is my new Ipod, then a tube of Neosporin (for my toesies), and then a bottle of Advil from last weekend's hangover. To the right side of the mug of tea is my Charlie Card and two dollars, because I know my Charlie Card is running low, but I'm not sure how low, so I just carry two dollars with me anytime I take public transportation so I don't get on the bus or the T and not have enough money. This is the kind of stress I deal with.

By the money is another binder - one that I actually use. This is my personal binder, where I make all my crazy lists and keep important stuff. It has things like my clothes lists, notes on work I need to do for classes, dreams I remember to write down - stuff like that. It's resting on top of another text book, from last semester, entitled "The New Journalism." That one was actually interesting, hence the reason it's on my desk even though I'm not using it this semester.

And finally, behind the binder, we have a bag from Victoria's Secret. As I mentioned before, Stephanie and I went shopping last weekend. I, of course, had no money, but I did have gift cards from Christmas (woo hoo!). So I bought some Victoria's Secret 5 for $25 underwear. It made me pretty happy.

It's the small things, people.

Love,
Tara


No comments: