Friday, January 9, 2009
2:58 pm My hands are numb, and I'm in my own house.
I couldn't pick just one topic to write about, so I'm just going to talk a little bit about everything. The quote for this blog comes from one of the kids Karen watches. Karen has worked with me at the toystore since forever. Last year she graduated from UCONN, so while she applies to graduate schools she's been working at the toystore and at a morning and afternoon YMCA latchkey program in East Hartford. I get to hear the best stories from her about all of kids (she gets punched and sworn at frequently). Oddly enough, it makes me kind of want to work there...
Last night, Karen, Stephanie, and I went to Ang's for dinner and a movie. It was super cute. We watched Mamma Mia and complained about customers. While we were talking though, this absolutely horrifying video came up on the news. The whole thing is so disturbing. It made me feel sick to my stomach all night.
What can you say after seeing something like that?
Also in the news, there's been a lot of talk about Scientology with the tragic death of John Travolta's son. This past semester, for my Magazine Writing & Editing class, I read a really fascinating piece on scientology done by Janet Reitman for Rolling Stone. I've posted the link to the story below. Let me know what you think.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/9363363/inside_scientology
In personal news, a year ago today I was landing in Madrid. Isn't that crazy? I can't believe it's been a full year. I was lying in bed thinking about it last night, and I was actually making myself anxious. I had to tell myself that it all already happened! It's one of those things I'm so glad I did, because it got me closer to being the person I want to be, but I'm glad I don't have to do anything like that again anytime soon.
So, I'll be returning for my last spring semester at BU on Sunday. I'm excited to go back, but I've got a zillion things to do to get ready. I'm starting new classes, a new internship...soon I'll have to apply for actual, paying jobs...it's a lot to think about.
Plus, my bed at home is WAY more comfortable than the one at school. It's going to be hard to go back.
Love,
Tara
Creamy White Chicken Chili (Crockpot)
2 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment