Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"If I was going to Watertown, it would say Watertown."

Wedenesday, January 21, 2009
11:08 am COM Student Services (on the lap top)

Sooo, transportationally speaking, yesterday was not a good day. I was all ready to blog about how great and wonderful the bus was, until yesterday when the MBTA bus system screwed me.




Friday the bus worked like clockwork, but I got to my internship 25 minutes early, so I decided to take a slightly later bus yesterday. Big mistake.

I had a hard time sleeping Monday night, so I was in a less than pleasant mood Tuesday morning as I stood at the bus stop in the freezing cold. Finally, a 57 appears (late), but it’s only going to Oak Square. That’s not far enough. I roll my eyes and continue to wait. Then, 10 minutes later, another 57 to Oak Square. I’m starting to panic. I flag down the bus anyway and ask the driver if he’s maybe going to Watertown Square and forgot to put it up. He was less than pleased and said something along the lines of, “If I was going to Watertown, it would say Watertown.” Duh.

Now, I’m pretty much sure I’m going to be late – on the SECOND day of my internship. I call my boss and leave a message letting her know I might be late. Then, I try to look up the bus schedule on my Blackberry. It doesn’t make any sense. The bus should have been here! I start to cry.

Okay, I mean, I’m not full-on crying, but tears of frustration definitely started to trickle. And then they trickled more because I kept thinking “Oh my God, I can’t believe you’re crying in public over this. Stop crying. Seriously, you’re 21. Stop crying!” The only thing that made me stop was the thought of getting my Blackberry wet.

Then, over the horizon, I see a bus. Squinting through the tears, I try to make out the sign. 57. To Oak Square.

Now I’m just mad. I decide to hail a cab, but I have no money, so I have to run (in heels) to the ATM which is a block away. Just as I’m walking into the bank, a bus zooms by me. 57. To Watertown.

Now, I’m beyond mad. I take out money, run into the middle of the street and get a cab right away. He must have sensed my anger because he FLEW to Watertown. I told him I needed to be to work by 9, half-joking because I knew it was impossible (it was 8:50), but he actually pulled it off.

It cost me $30 and my emotional well-being for the day, but I walked into my office building at 9 am, and except for the frantic message I left on my boss’ machine, nobody was the wiser.


Oh, and then, even though I was on time, I missed my bus on the way home. So, I stood in the cold for 20 minutes, waiting for the next one.

And now everywhere I go I see 57 buses to Watertown.

I heart public transportation.

Love,
Tara

No comments: